Disability Development & Support
BCRC’s Disability Development Programme provides support for people with disability and their families and carers.
The Disability Development worker signposts callers to relevant services and produces Easy Read leaflets on how to meet the challenges faced by those living with disability.
BCRC also produces a Disability Guide for the Causeway Coast and Glens area. The principal project facilitated by the Disability Development team is the Rocking the Causeway Project.
The BCRC Rocking the Causeway project is funded through the BBC Children in Need Programme and is aimed primarily at young people with a disability. Through this project we aim to raise the capacity of young people with disabilities by providing life skills training, music, art and drama workshops and other training opportunities. The Rocking the Causeway project also provides opportunities for integrated activities with able bodied young people.
We will do this by:
- Identifying existing gaps in services
- Providing direct support and training for young people with disabilities to meet their comprehensive needs
- Facilitating theRock School – and the band, The Causeway Crew
- Creating opportunities for other integrated activities such as art, ceramics, drama, creative writing, music production workshops
- Providing life skills training for young people
- Delivering equality/diversity sessions in schools
- Providing information sessions for parents, carers and professionals.
Tel: 028 2766 5068